Mexican Movie Review ~ Bullfighter's Cafe
Technorati Profile

Friday, May 23, 2008

Mexican Movie Review



Finally had a chance to see Lucía, Lucía; the Mexican/Spanish film based on the book La hija del Caníbal and directed by Antonio Serrano. Actress Cecilia Roth does a fabulous job as a writer thrust into chaos when her husband disappears. Feeling past her prime, she becomes involved in a love triangle (of sorts) with the neighbors who offer to help find the husband she doesn’t really know.

This movie was not as commercially successful as Serrano's first film Sexo, Pudor y Lágrimas (a movie I describe as a funnier, sexier, Mexican version of “FRIENDS”). I can sort of understand why. I LOVED Roth in All About My Mother, and because I am a huge Pedro Almodóvar fan and found myself unfairly comparing the films. Mexican actor Kuno Becker is almost as adorable as Gael (García Bernal…in my mind we are on a first name basis :-) but falls a bit short. Serrano fans expecting the sequel to “Sexo” will be disappointed.

Although this review slants towards the negative, I DO still recommend Lucía, Lucía. I caught it on IFC and you can probably catch it on DVD.

No comments: