Top Ten Latino Movies ~ Bullfighter's Cafe
Technorati Profile

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Top Ten Latino Movies




“Hollywood doesn’t make Latino films”. How often have you said this or have heard someone repeat this? I admit it; I’ve said it a few times. It wasn’t until I saw Angel’s entry on her top ten Latina movies that I realized that the statement is not entirely true. I also realized I have a top ten list, and here it is:

10 - Stand and Deliver – Blood In-Blood Out – American Me
Yes, I’m cheating by having three movies count as one, but as you may notice these movies are centered on the Cholo motif. While Stand and Deliver is my favorite of the three, I mentioned the other two because they still resonate with Chicanos. For me Stand and Deliver is more memorable because I went to school with Dominic, a buttoned up, slicked hair, strutting Cholo who was one of the smartest and nicest guys I have ever known. He was the actual Lou Diamond character, which made the film more truthful to me.

9. Mi Familia (1995)
Is there any other movie that depicts a family of migrants from Mexico to America? The story follows a family’s travels and generations as they face acculturation and assimilation, which touch on similar themes for almost every American. What I found similar is, I do remember my grandmother being as superstitious as Maria (Jennifer Lopez) in the movie. Maria proclaims that death, in the shape of an owl follows her son Chucho, until death finally catches up and takes him. My grandmother used to tell me about similar stories, which scared the crap out of me!

8. Amores Perros (2000)
I’m not a dog person so I hesitated to watch this movie, but I’m glad I did. When I think of this movie I always recall the ending, when an old man walks off into the sunset with some grungy, old dog. They both looked like they were about to die, but instead they seem to live with hope, joy and vigor to see another day. I remember this movie as being intense and full of contrasts, which imprinted lasting images in my consciousness.

7. Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)
Guillermo del Toro has become my favorite director. Ever since I saw El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil’s Backbone) I’ve been watching Guillermo’s films. I’m a fan of fantasy, mythology, and good old monster movies, and at the moment no one is doing it better than Guillermo. Pan’s Labyrinth could be considered a girl’s movie, but when you consider Guillermo’s courage to do the film in Spanish, this film has to be recognized.

6. Apocalypto (2006)
OK, I expect some backlash on this choice but let me remind you that I’m talking movies here and not documentaries. With that said, when I saw the Myan city in the film, I was awestruck by the images and beauty of the people. Yes, maybe its Hollywood makeup at its best, but it is still a wonderful thing to see so many beautiful brown faces on the big screen! On a serious note, this movie did wet my appetite to see more stories on the Myans and Aztecs, so that’s got to be a good thing too.

5. City of God (2002)
Every time I think of this Brazilian film about homeless, gangster kids it breaks my heart. The scene where the little boy gets shot in the foot brings a lump in my throat. How the director was able to get the nino to act through the scene is beyond me. Although, the film has been criticized for its artistry, I believe the beauty of the film added to the contrast of the bleakness of the kid’s lives. A powerful film to say the least.

4. No Country for Old Men (2007)
For Javier Barden’s performance alone, this film is remarkable. As I was sitting in the theater watching the film, I found myself tense and holding my breadth because of the evil projected by Javier’s character. Like Angel had mentioned about Jessica Abla’s ability to land nonLatina characters, I believe Javier’s performance should convince producers that there are talented Latino actors that can play a range of characters, given the opportunity.

3. Desperado (1995)
Danny Trejo throwing knives, Cheech Marin telling jokes and Selma Hayek… do I really need to say more? Well, to be fair I should say something about my business partner, but in respect to her wishes I will only say that this is truly one of my favorite films and I am lucky to have friend who was in this fun film.

2. La Bamba (1987)
If there is anyone reading this who hasn’t seen this film, do me a favor; give yourself a three stooges slap on the head. From motorcycles, rock-n-roll, bar fights to Tijauna whorehouses, this has to be one of the best guy’s movie ever made. The scene that I most relate to is when Ritchie’s family is celebrating and being filmed by a 8mm camera. I think Bob sticks his tongue at the camera, which looks like my family in so many of my dad’s early family films. This has to be considered the first mainstream, contemporary film that opened the doors for other Chicano films.

1. The Milagro Beanfield War (1988)
This film is my top pick for many reasons. Primarily, the film was a Chicano film without having to say it’s a Chicano story. The characters lived in a community where they could be who they were without having to prove their ethnicity with tired clichés. The story is about a community fighting corporate greed. It’s not about an individual fighting to live within his own brown skin but rather a human fighting for the righteousness of community. The magical realism and whimsy in the film also touched on aspects of Latin culture without over dramatizing the supernatural. Overall, I chose this as my top Latino film because it was the first film that I noticed that not all Latino stories have to be centered in the barrio, on gangsters or drug dealers. Latinos can just be “people” with common people challenges too.

Well that’s it. Although, these films made a lasting impression on my life, I’m sure your list may differ. In fact, by next week my list may change, as Angel said Motorcycle Diaries should be included, but I haven’t seen the movie yet, so who knows by next week it might be my number one film. Comment with your top ten, I’d like to know if I missed any other good films.


with gratitude,
Pablo

1 comment:

Robert said...

As with Angel's list of great Latina movies, this collection of Latino-centric films offer portrayals of life from the male perspective.

Stand and Deliver, Blood in Blood Out, and American Me are all important films. However, all three offer completely different visions with their own means, methods, and morals. The three films distinguish themselves by their optimism: Stand and Deliver presents a very optimistic view of Latino youth, American Me a less hopeful one and Blood In, Blood Out somewhere in between. Although Blood In, Blood Out and American Me share very similar themes; their aims are completely different. One is a cautionary tale, the other a Godfather-esque epic. Blood In, Blood Out is more intent on showing the character of the L.A. barrio. Of the three young men portrayed in the film, two were able to escape the destructive gang lifestyle and contribute positively to society, in stark contrast to the markedly monolithic inclusion of Latino males in other movies as irreconcilable criminals. American Me presents the viewers with only one story: one which is more intent on conveying its anti-gang, anti-drug message. Every scene in American Me is devoted to affirming that message, cultimating in a very powerful and very tragic conclusion. I personally prefer Blood In, Blood Out and find it more enjoyable, but if I was choosing a film to show at-risk youth, American Me would be the one to pick.

Stand and Deliver, however, is a completely different picture from the last two. Presenting a different image of East Los Angeles, Stand and Deliver sets itself apart from the pack by demonstrating that young Latinos are not confined to life as second-class citizens. The gang issues which were so prominent in the other films take a back seat to this film's message: that with hard work and an open mind, any goals can be achieved and any odds can be overcome.